Most health insurance plans cover you for medical requirements and offer treatment via allopathy. But what if you wanted to seek therapy through alternate methods? Now, AYUSH treatments, which are Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy system are covered under the policy and provide the insured with another option. The drugs prescribed under AYUSH consist of natural ingredients with fewer side effects and thus, many prefer to opt for it. So, allow us to take you through the AYUSH cover offered under your health insurance.
Benefits of AYUSH Cover
- AYUSH is a suitable treatment for senior citizens apart from allopathy
- It is also helps stimulate the natural powers of the body to heal on its own
- Many lifestyle problems can be easily solved with alternative treatment such as yoga
- AYUSH treatment is known to have fewer side effects along with being cost-effective than other therapeutic methods
- Such a medical approach has a more holistic healing than just curing the symptoms of the illness
What is Covered Under AYUSH Benefit?
Here are the aspects of alternative treatment that are covered under your insurance:
- Any medical expense arising from in-patient treatment under Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy are covered by the insurer
- A certain percentage of your coverage is reserved for alternative treatment under numerous policies such as health insurance plans for family, health insurance for senior citizens, etc.
- If you seek treatment at any government hospitals authorised by Quality Council of India or National Accreditation Board, the expenses are covered by the plan
- Under specific policies or as an add-on, you are eligible for reimbursement of the enrolment fee to yoga institutes
What is Not Covered Under AYUSH Benefit?
Go through the below-mentioned points that are not covered under the AYUSH benefit of your medical insurance policy:
- Any hospitalisation for investigation or evaluation is not covered by the plan
- In case you seek treatment at a healthcare facility and not at a hospital, the expenses will not be reimbursed
- If you don’t get alternative treatment at authorised government hospitals or the ones accredited by National Accreditation Board or Quality Council of India, the expenses will not be covered
Importance of AYUSH Treatment
With changing times and lifestyles, many people are considering natural ways of treatment and are shifting towards AYUSH. To enable policyholders for individual plans as well as health insurance plans for family to enjoy the benefit of alternative treatment, insurance companies have started to cover Homeopathy, Yoga, Unani, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, etc. This allows people to have varied options for treatment and to choose as per their needs. So, if you, too, believe that alternative treatment is the way to go, then you can now claim the expenses under your medical insurance plan!
How Was AYUSH Included in the Healthcare System?
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) asked insurance companies to cover AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) under health plans. The government then formed the Ministry of AYUSH in November 2014 for further research and development and to offer maximum medical aid to patients via natural medicines.
You can now enjoy alternative treatment under the same medical insurance plan without any hassle! But before you purchase any policies, make sure to confirm if your insurer has AYUSH cover included in the plan.